Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

I hope everyone is enjoying Turkey day and remembering what they are truly thankful for. I am thankful for my healthy family, my fantastic pups, a great job in a not so great economy and my fab chic customers and blog followers :)

During the holidays, I break out the baker in me. One of my favorite desserts that I make is Sweet potato cheesecake. I received this recipe from one of my friends. The recipe is by Sweet Potato Festival, Vardamon, Mississippi, 1994

Crust:
  • 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine-melted

Cheesecake:
  • 3 8oz pkgs cream cheese--softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups sweet potatoes, mashed
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk -- undiluted
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Topping:
  • 2 cups sour cream--room temperature
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Crust: Combine crumbs, sugar, and butter in bowl. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up on sides of 9 inch spring form pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes. Do not allow to brown. Remove from oven and cool.

Cheesecake: Beat cream cheese, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat in sweet potatoes, eggs, and milk. Add cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat well. Pour into crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until edge is set.

Topping: Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Spread over warm cheesecake. Return to 350 degree oven and bake 5 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Remove side pan and chill several hours or overnight.

For extra sweetness, I have adjusted the original recipe slightly by making the following changes:
Cheesecake: Increase sugar to 2 cups and add 1 tablespoon of vanilla. For the topping, I increase the amount of sugar to 1/2 cup. I also decreased the amount of sour cream to 1 1/2 cups. Once the cheesecake is fully cooked, I sprinkle a brown sugar mixture on top. The mixture consists of 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.

I hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

Memories for Life said...

Yummmmm! Happy Thanksgiving to you too :)